NE7ER 4 // God’s Compassions Never Fail
- Compassion literally means “to suffer together.”
- Not just acts of kindness
- Connections to new/rebirth — compassion can give us a new lease on life!
Five Keys to Compassion
- Recognizing suffering
- Suffering is universal
- Empathy for suffering
- Tolerate discomfort
- Motivation to act
Compassion Comes from God
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NIV) | Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
- God wants us to be compassion conduits
God’s Compassion Never Fails
- Lamentations 3:20-24 (NIV) | I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
- God’s compassion helps protect us
We Must Act with Compassion
- 1 Peter 3:8 (NIV) | Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
- Our compassion helps fuel our witness
Steps to Compassion
- Mindfulness: be aware of the present moment and act
- Self-kindness: care for yourself as well as others
- Common Humanity: we are all in this together
- How have you found compassion giving you new lease life?
- Has God’s compassion protected you?
- When did compassion direct you to serve others?
Leave a Comment