You can find the clip for this message by clicking here.
1 Peter 1:3-9 (NIV) | 3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire — may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
The City is Underwater
• Note the Baptism motif, but Gotham was stuck in the sense of death
• Things Will Get Worse before they Get Better
• Our faith
• Our institutions
• Elected officials
• Each other
See the Effect
• Vengeance doesn’t change the past – become more
• People need hope, to know someone is out there
• Surviving transforms us
• Gives us strength to endure and fight
Jesus in it All
• John 16:33 (NIV) | “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
• Jesus wants to help you rise above your troubles
• Jesus will rebuild your faith when you put it first in Him
• Jesus will show you the effect He has on you and the world as the LIVING HOPE
• He still carries scars of your sin to show you how you can rise above them, endure, and fight for faith (1 Timothy 6:11-12).